August 27, 2015

The Race Explainers Are Being Purged: MSNBC Ends Rev. Al Sharpton’s Daily Show

The Race Explainers Are Being Purged: MSNBC Ends Rev. Al Sharpton’s Daily Show

by Yvette Carnell

The man who used his daily MSNBC show as an arm of the White House communications department is going from five days a week to one day on the weekend. Headlines in mainstream media are using terms like “bumped” and “moved” to describe the end of Sharpton’s daily show in favor of a Sunday time slot. The truth, however, is that as the Obama clock winds down and whites tire of race talk, Sharpton’s being relegated to the margins. As I’ve predicted, he’s not the first and probably won’t be the last.

When asked in February of this year whether he was being let go by MSNBC amid the ratings shakeup, Sharpton told The Daily Beast, “I am pretty certain that I am solid at the time period that I’m at for the next foreseeable future. And any rumors to the contrary are totally unfounded.”

That “solid” ground Rev. Al described now looks more like quicksand.

“I want to congratulate Al and his team. For four years they have done a terrific job bringing his voice and a big spotlight to issues of justice, civil rights and equality,” network president Phil Griffin said in a memo. “And as many of you know, The Rev never missed a show. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do with a Sunday morning newsmaker program.”

Here we find Rev. Al being told that taking a spot from the more liberal Cenk Uygur, while simultaneously being a marble-mouthed parrot for Obama, and shielding Comcast from racial criticism, was a job well done. MSNBC’s parting gift to the good Rev. is that he’ll be allowed to retain a spot at the network and a paycheck, maybe until he retires.

Last year MSNBC decided against renewing Goldie Taylor’s contract as well, then sent Joy Reid on her way.

While it is true that MSNBC is in a ratings funk, it is just as true that the network has been lagging for awhile, and up until now, allowed Sharpton to retain his prime time spot in the line-up.

In May, Mediaite reported that Sharpton was last in the 6pm demo. And he wasn’t just last, he stunk up the place. I mean, he wasn’t even close: “With just 49K viewers in the 25-54 demo, MSNBC’s PoliticsNation with Al Sharpton came in third place at 6 p.m. ET behind Fox News’ Special Report with Bret Baier (296K) and CNN’s The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (80K).”

He wasn’t let go back then because he hadn’t outworn the welcome of his benefactors (and demoting and firing too many black people at one time just isn’t good for business). As we approach the post-Obama age, however, black pundits, who are largely employed by networks mostly as race explainers and Obama functionaries, will be of little use. This is part of the explanation why they are being purged.

Does anyone want to hear Sharpton talk about Jeb Bush’s Russia policy? Or Hillary Clinton’s health care plan? No. Of course not. He’s the Negro Whisperer. And he, and those like him, who pretend to know what all black people are thinking or feeling at any given time, are hired hands. And they come cheap since most black pundits are made to rely solely on mainstream media for income.

Sharpton was at MSNBC for four years. He did a fine job of leveraging the Obama administration’s second term for his own personal and financial gain. And the Obama administration cleverly used the street preacher without a church to convince a cadre of black voters that change was gonna come… eventually. Now “eventually” is here, Al is out, and black people are worse off than they were when Obama took office. There is no clearer sign that black politics is at its lowest point since the Civil Rights movement. This is rock bottom. And at least some of the blame for this goes to the black chattering class, who never saw a black symbolic victory that they didn’t want to celebrate and interpret for white people.

0 likes Black News , Black Politics , ybw #

26 thoughts on “The Race Explainers Are Being Purged: MSNBC Ends Rev. Al Sharpton’s Daily Show

All those who supported the Tyrant should face complete political banishment from our future endeavors.

We need strong populist to fight our way back to prosperity and punish the super rich with taxes or death. Whatever becomes necessary.

2. RaymondBrown says:

Rev. Al Sharpton is still great nothing has change. We still support Rev. Sharpton, but hate you Yvette Carnall the high yellow blogger.

3. anthony4422 says:

Too funny, well look at it this way “Rev”, at least this gives you more time to focus on your ministry.  Obama may be able to get you a gig in the WH kitchen mopping floors.

4. TariqWilliams says:

Whenever a white person or a self hating so called “Black” person criticizes President Obama and/or Al Sharpton aren’t they the ones who are braking their necks to interpret so called  “Black” situations to white people?

” The truth, however, is that as the Obama clock winds down and whites tire of race talk, Sharpton’s being relegated to the margins. As I’ve predicted, he’s not the first and probably won’t be the last … ”

“As we approach the post-Obama age, however, black pundits, who are largely employed by networks mostly as race explainers and Obama functionaries, will be of little use. This is part of the explanation why they are being purged.”

ZACTLY!

TariqWilliams Please elaborate. You support Al’s role as government minion to the ESPN watcher and Chief?

7. Johnw11 says:

This a great article. Very sharp analysis.
    I only have one small disagreement. I don’t think Sharpton will be allowed to hang around in his embarrassingly diminished role until his retirement. He’ll be gone completely the moment President Obama’s term ends. What use will his incompetence be afterwards? While I’ve honestly never seen a single second of his show, I’m told that he speaks so loudly, he must think his audience is deaf. I know an elementary school teacher who forbids her students from watching Sharpton’s show because of the “bad grammar” influences it would have on them.
    President Obama is the only reason Sharpton has lasted this long, its Sharpton’s reward for mis-leading Blacks into accepting their socio-economic destruction over the past 7 years. In fact, I wouldn’t call it “leading” at all. His role has mainly been not to lead, but top keep up chaos and confusion among Blacks, to keep them from listening to decent, caring, Blacks who bravely disagree with the destruction of Blacks. This is why Sharpton attacked west, smiley and others who told Blacks the truth about what was going on. Sharpton’s role was to keep confusion going; a role he played without any shame or remorse.
    Don’t be surprised if he’s replaced by the opportunist Mike Dyson, the man who “speaks in tongues.” Word is he’s a Hillary man, who let it be known that he is willing to do for her what Sharpton has done for President Obama. This makes sense because she would want a more polished Black to represent her, one who is also not so controversial with her right-wing base. Dyson, it is said, put in his application with his ignorant rant against Dr. West a few months ago in a puerile piece titled “The Ghost of Cornel West.” Hillary would need such an opportunist as Dyson to obfuscate, buck dance, and push boot-licking confusion as she continues the current policies of deceiving and destroying Blacks.
    Dyson, it is said, barely lost out to Sharpton to host the show in the first place, but White House intervention as an operant reward for Sharpton’s opposition to other “Black leaders” in the White House supported Comcast deal gave the edge to Sharpton.
    Dyson OBVIOUSLY decided that he would never be out boot-licked again. And is reportedly waiting in the wings for his operant rewards for the behavior he has emitted between then and now.

Johnw11

“While I’ve honestly never seen a single second of his show …”

Makes 2 of us, John.

BTW, that’s interesting speculation u offered concerning Dyson … wouldn’t at all surprise me if that were to come to fruition. That said, Hillary won’t be the next POTUS.  Hell, she might not even get the demoncratic nomination … not that I really give a damn. : )

9. AMAC7210 says:

Good Ol Rev Al… The man who speak as if he is eating a bowl of shyt.. The Caucusoid gave him a platform so that he could control and manipulate the uninformed and lead them to a path of being controlled by them.. I must admit I watched about 60 seconds of his show and immediately came to the conclusion was talking BS. As I’ve said many times if you want to control our people put the Word Minister.. Rev.. Preacher in front of a Black man name and most of us will follow them like sheeps. (Sharpton, Jackson, Farrakhan) just to name a few.. Never in the history of this country has the so called Black man had so much POWER (President and Attorney General) and Blacks progress has gone BACKWARDS according to ever statiscal analysis. We continue to fall into the trap that Democrats are for Blacks and Republicans are for the rich.. The last time I checked both are controlled by the Caucusoid who by the way were and still our Oppressors.. We’ve follow the mantra if you don’t vote your voice won’t be heard.. Ask all the blacks that were in the voting lines for hours myself included to vote for Obama… did he hear US….NOOOOOO. I’ve come to the realization that we’ve been MUTED by the politicians every since the Caucusoid has came to this country therefore I will never participate in this voting process again. In my opinion the only way we can save ourselves is learning and embracing SELF and SELF WORTH… As Obama term is about to end (what a waste) I’m excited that I won’t have to hear any more BS from good old Rev Al. As some of our people say in the Black Church when something good happen Hallelujah… Hallelujah this Sambo will be gone..
    HoTep!!

10. AnnaSanders says:

Al Sharpton IS NOT the voice of African Americans! This is a title he and Jesse Jackson proclaimed for and on themselves. He serves no purpose but to further divide the races. He should be banned from TV.

11. AnnaSanders says:

anthony4422 What ministry? Sharpton doesn’t even have a church. He sucked his way up with Martin Luther King and President Obama. I don’t know who will sponsor him now.

12. BessMoore says:

Reverend?? Of what?? Who?? He is a phony race baiter , just like Jesse Jackson!! They both need to be GONE!! Who needs them, really!! ??

AMAC7210

Luv this post, AMAC … BIG THUMBS UP!!!

14. AMAC7210 says:

Thanks Bro Watchful..

15. Johnw11 says:

AnnaSanders  While I disagree with Al Sharpton, it seems you and I are disagreeing for different reasons. I disagree with him because I “know” he is “misleading” those African Americans who follow him. Such a handful as it might be.
    But you on the other hand, disagree with him because you think that he is “dividing the races.” That is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard. It comes straight out of the playbook of right-wing race hustlers.
    I disagree with him because he is insincere about the issues he raises. I do not contend that the issues he raises are not legitimate. I contend that he is not legitimate.
    Your contention that the issues he raises are “dividing the races,” communicates clearly that you do not believe racial injustices against Blacks exist. And, therefore, if no one raises such issues, if injustices against Blacks are never discussed, then the races will not be divided, despite the injustices being a result of racism (race division) in the first place. Blacks (including Sharpton) should just be quiet and accept the status quo, in order to not “divide the races.”
    If that is the way you understand matters, then I don’t believe you belong in this conversation, because, frankly, you are on another page entirely and cannot possibly make a sensible, let alone useful, contribution to this discussion.

16. Basedonatruestory says:

One things for sure, as long as Black folks even appear as if they are making progress… Fox News is going to keep its field negroes on the payroll.

17. Johnw11 says:

Watchful Thanks for your feedback.
    Not to get too far off into which buffoon will be replacing the outgoing one, an issue which, unlike who becomes the next president, has no relevance at all; the word I’m getting is they’re trying to find a fit for Dyson.
    I think everyone should care about who their elected official is at every level; after all, these are the people whose policies control every aspect of everyone’s lives.

Johnw11

Dyson strikes me as being the type who would fit perfectly as the de facto replacement for the fake Reverend.

As to ur comment concerning elected officials, I’ve long since stopped caring about them once I realized that they were pretty much all bought and paid for and I didn’t possess the wherewithal to compete with their donors.

19. Johnw11 says:

Watchful Don’t want to get too far off-topic about voting. Topic is about good riddance of a con man (Sharpton) whose obfuscating and outright lying for personal gain has set back African Americans’ political education at a time in history when such education is most needed.
    You are correct in your stating that most elected officials apparently serve the interest of wealthy “donors,” and not voters.
    What is often overlooked, however, is that while “donors” give them money, voters give them votes.
    The donors’ money help politicians market themselves, swindle the minds of the unsophisticated with propagandistic lies, and run attack “character slander” adds against their opponents.
    But at the end of the day, it’s voter ignorance that elect them, not the donors’ money.
    That’s why at this point, the most important thing is for African American voters to become politically educated. We will be able to measure the extent to which that has occurred by whether or not Blacks begin to vote in critical mass for POLICY rather than the current conditioned state of voting for PERSONALITY.

Johnw11

I understand where u’re comin’ from, John … but I no longer have faith in the entire political process since I believe it’s been corrupted to its core and there’s really not much voters can do to change it at this point short of somehow amassing the necessary capital to compete with those donors and we both know that ain’t happening. Like I’ve said B4, I consider myself a realist, or at least that’s what I try to be. To me, at this point in time, lookin’ to get anything outta these elected/selected office holders without the money to pay them off is a losing battle that’s not even worth the effort IMO. We should focus our energy towards other pursuits like figuring out how to possibly pool what limited financial resources we do possess and then using it strategically to maybe payoff certain key elected officials to do our bidding in terms of policy implementation. The challenge then is identifying those elected officials we could trust, and that’s one huge challenge IMO. Outside of that, I don’t see us having any true political leverage given how the current system is setup.

21. AMAC7210 says:

Bro. Watchful totally agree with your commentary… Blacks has been totally ignored and taken advantage ever since we’ve been granted the right to vote for their Oppressor. We gotten to the point that we’ve became dependent on the Caucusoid for our existence.. they know that but unfortunately we’re still sleeping.

AMAC7210

Yes, Brutha AMAC … the way I see it, u can’t realistically compete in the game of politics in this country unless u have some money bcuz Zionist-controlled organizations like AIPAC have taken over the system and have corrupted the process. Unfortunately, many blk voters seem to naïvely believe that their vote actually gives them some genuine political power when nuthin’ could be further from the truth. Without money to backup those votes u r, in reality, politically impotent. It’s that simple to me.

23. scifi2home says:

Its called, get off the clutch and really look/resheurch the canadates instead of TV ads. I knew of who Barack Obama long before he started. This is not a Prom as a nation is. THINK PEOPLE! Look into “who” a person is not a “demographic ” someone is. You have no one to blame but yourself if the vote only to “outward” appearance!

24. Bubiwoman says:

Just another sell out who talks loud and says nothing.

25. MarkNStarlaTraina says:

Join U.S. at: BLACK on WHITE CRIME: FACEBOOK
    For the latest in BLACK on WHITE CRIME NEWS
    We report the STORIES that the MAINSTREAM MEDIA IGNORE

26. FayeGringe says:

Yvette, I love your ability to see things before they come.  In my mind this is due to a true understanding of what is really going on, and that it’s going on no matter whose in office, black or white.  I find myself always nodding when you make predictions because I know they’re going to come true.  I know because I see these issues the same way, and I’m glad you’re there to inform people even if they don’t believe you when you first make your predictions.  The most important thing is that you say what must be said.  In the end, trust is built not from clever talkers who please the masses for a little while.  Trust is built over time after people can see that you have the capacity to be honest with yourself, and then be honest with them and call a spade a spade.  People don’t need to be told what they want to hear.  They need to be told the truth.  That’s how you can tell when someone truly cares about you.  And Yvette you care about your people.  I don’t agree with all your solutions to the problems and conditions you are so clearly aware of, but I respect you for always bringing it down front; I respect you for your realism,  your solid common sense, and how all your attributes gives you a political sixth sense.  Thank you.