August 6, 2015

A black Lowe’s delivery driver in Virginia says a customer canceled a delivery because of his race, and to make matters worse, his employer went along with the request.

Marcus Bradley, who has been with the company for eleven years, says the customer called his employer to refuse delivery.

“Then I got a phone call on the phone telling me to bring the delivery back.  Saying that I couldn’t do the delivery,” said Bradley, according to ABC 13.  “I asked him why I couldn’t do it and he said because you’re black and they don’t want you at the house.”

Bradley claims the customer requested that he be replaced with a non-black delivery driver.

Alex Brooks, another delivery driver who was with Bradley  during the delivery, said it was uncalled for.

“To me, it just ain’t right for a business that we work at to go on with the woman’s wishes,” said Brooks.

Also, Brooks claims that Bradley was replaced by a white driver, then the delivery was sent out again.

“It was one of those things like, ‘These guys will get over it.  They’re tough guys, they’re delivery guys and that’s kind of where I just had to put my foot down and say I couldn’t do it with them,” said Brooks.

ABC 13 caught up with the woman who refused the black delivery man entry into her home. “I got a right to have whatever I want and that’s it,” she said, adding, “No, I don’t feel bad about nothing.”

Bradley said he didn’t expect his employer to take the customer’s side.

“I mean, I thought that Lowe’s would take up for me,” said Bradley.

Bradley says although he’s bothered by the incident, he’s “gotta work.”

Lowe’s released the following statement:

Diversity and inclusion is a core value at Lowe’s.
The situation brought to our attention was troubling and an investigation was immediately undertaken.
Under no circumstances should a discriminatory delivery request be honored as it is inconsistent with our diversity and inclusion core values and the request should have been refused.
The investigation has concluded and the individuals involved are no longer with company.

0 likes Black News , Race & Racism , ybw #

21 thoughts on “Lowe’s Supervisors to Delivery Driver: “You’re Black and They Don’t Want You at the House”

1. TeraysahBarker says:

This is racism in Amerikkka

2. GaBoy2015 says:

Please be quiet with the Amerikkka crap. If you hate it hear, you can easily move to Canada, europe, or the caribbean. But there’s racism in those places too.

3. Friendlyword says:

Are the individuals no longer involved with Lowes the delivery drivers?  The manager?  All of them?

4. MalcolmTurner says:

Why don’t you go back to your cave.

5. providence338 says:

I’m more mad that these guys shared this story and decided to go right back to being humiliated by his employer and in a sense emasculated by that white gorilla. While I respect her right to be racist, I don’t respect her as a human being b/c quite frankly people like are just NOT. Her racism is her own demon she has to contend with The Most High. But Lowe’s is the one that really violated this guy, he has an agreement with them. He would have been better off keeping this story to himself and continue being an Uncle Tom, or revolt and THEN break the story. By him going back to Lowe’s with his tail tucked between his legs after he told the world how unfairly he was treated, sends a strong message of Black male cowardice, weakness, and mental/psychological castration.

6. ChristiKennedy says:

GaBoy2015 That’s just it. There’s racism in all those places. There is an endless supply of hateful whites around the globe, so don’t tell me to run. We will speak out about it and we WILL do something about it- rest assured. And as Malcolm said, all of you can go back to Europe and hide away from the rest of us. It was your kind that introduced such a brand of hate that has crippled the world in a myriad ways.  I don’t give a f about racism beyond the power it gives you, when it comes to employment, housing and other opportunities in general. As if we care if you ‘like’ us, LOL.

7. SteveJohnson2 says:

providence338  you going to pay his bills while he’s out of work?

8. SteveJohnson2 says:

Friendlyword  The manager

9. ChristiKennedy says:

providence338 You nailed it. We’re a slave to the paycheck. He should have quit and acquired an lawyer but we’re so whipped and beaten as a people.

10. HANNIBAL the VICTOR says:

The only reason to sue an employer is if you were injured physically or financially. If blacks have gotten to point were we are suing employers because clients of our employers hurt our feelings  then we are in worse shape than i thought. Besides , i don’t think this incident falls under the equal opportunity laws . If racism is so bad why dont black folks own and control more resources and wealth. Oh , that’s  right ! You have to invest your money in order to do that , and lord knows blacks  by in large are allergic  to financial investment in things that are important.

11. JamesBembury says:

I’m from the commonwealth of Virginia.yes I said commonwealth because Virginia is not a state and one of the main sources of revenue was the selling of slaves. Therefore why would anyone be surprise at this story.?? And yes to answer your question about if racism was so bad why don’t blacks own and control more resources and wealth.Maybe you need to take the time out and read about how successful blacks ran their businesses in Oklahoma city let me see if I have it correctly they own black banks, stores, restaurants, and companies.than a Mob of whites decided that they wanted to burn that part of the city that blacks lived and had their businesses. Not only did they lose their livelihood but some even lost their lives. There was also a section that blacks ran successful businesses in New York. A race riot was started there,the place was destroyed along with the businesses. The site is now know as Time Square.When I was in Vietnam I didn’t give a Dam what Color the person was who brought me food when I was hungry nor ammunition when I was out of bullets. Nor did I mind what color the man was frighting beside me.All I knew was that he was an American like me trying to get home to his family.

12. StanselusWoods says:

Wow, damn you’re being harsh. Well he can sue because he was put in a situation simply because of his race by his employer. What’s the definition of discrimination? Okay. And yes let’s own more and start our own businesses, but people say that as though that’s the ends instead of the means. The ends being we finally get treated fairly, equally, with respect. Until then we should still demand/expect it. I don’t want to live in a world where people only give a damn because of my monetary worth. Although that’s where the world finds itself today..wealth is not the way to judge humanity .

13. providence338 says:

SteveJohnson2 providence338 you missed the point. I understand he has to work. Then do so and shut up. Why break the story if you’re not gonna do anything about it? While I suspect better, he looks like a COWARD. I understand something called ‘perception’, and he (along with the rest of us) reinforced the stereotype of how WEAK we are as a people that we must accept continued degradation in silence for the sake of ‘paying bills’.

14. providence338 says:

ChristiKennedy providence338 Amen Christi, I’m surprised others here can’t see that. As a MAN he should have handled that. If not, he should have kept his mouth SHUT and we the public would have been none the wiser. He looks like a total chump — Lowe’s, white gorilla, and the public at large are LAUGHING at this ‘man’.

15. rickkdickerson says:

What do you say to an elderly white woman who while her house us on fire says “YOU’RE BLACK AND I’M OLD ” and refuses to come out. Her husband dies in the fire, and MY congratulations is a commodation slid under my door. If ANYONE wants to know more about this, ,,,, please ask me.I would be more than happy to tell! the story.

16. Ayin says:

rickkdickerson I say nothing i let her die. Not her ignorance caused her own death. No blood on my hands

17. rickkdickerson says:

This was Council Bluffs Iowa in 1978

18. HANNIBAL the VICTOR says:

StanselusWoods You live in a world of MAKE BELIEVE and fantasy. The two things that get respect the most in this world are BULLETS and MONEY. Power gets respect and black folks who ask or beg for respect  are just too stupid or too lazy to go out and get it.

19. Grammarpolice78 says:

The word you wanted was ‘here’ not here. Please learn how to use the English language or find a different language to speak. I’m embarrassed for you and your parents. They should have bought you a tutor instead of an iPad.

20. Grammarpolice78 says:

The word that you sought was ‘here ‘ not hear. I’m embarrassed for you and your parents. They should have bought you a tutor instead of an iPad. Please find a language that you can use correctly. English apparently is not one that understand.

21. capistranoboy says:

Hey Yvette, remember when it was proper for a journalist to list the location of the story next to the date or as the very first words of the story…did they not teach you that at the community college journalism class?