July 30, 2015

Online Petition Demands Historic Black Panther Marker Be Removed

Online Petition Demands Historic Black Panther Marker Be Removed

Photo Credit: Winston Salem Journal, Bruce Chapman

After the Charleston slaying of nine black church members by an admitted white supremacist, debate over the Confederate flag led to its removal from South Carolina’s state capitol. Now, however, an online petition is asking the city of Winston-Salem N.C. to remove a historic marker for the city chapter’s of the Black Panther Party.

A Change.org petition submitted by Wayne Pearce claims that the Black Panthers are a violent and racist organization, as evidenced by a Black Panther “leader” who called for killing  white people.

Pearce is actually referring to the NEW Black Panther Party, whose members argued with members of the Ku Klux Klan during a recent Klan rally in South Carolina.

[tweet_box]Payback? Online Petition Demands Removal of Historic Black Panther Marker[/tweet_box]

“We the people feel that it is not in the best interest of the city of Winston-Salem or the state of North Carolina to honor such a racist and violent organization,” the petition reads.

From the Winston Salem Journal:

The Forsyth County Historic Resources Commission and the city council approved placing the marker at its location on East Fifth Street in October 2012. More than 100 people, including city officials, attended the ceremony to unveil the marker.

The sign recognizes the Panthers’ social programs, including a free breakfast program for children, an ambulance service and medical screening. “These programs,” the sign reads, “brought meaningful change to Winston-Salem during a time of social and political upheaval and lent validation to the Chapter’s slogan, ‘Power to the People — Right On!”

McCullough said that Citylink received a phone call on July 15 from Brian Queen of Winston-Salem who said he wanted the city to remove the marker.

The petition had over 900 signatures on Wednesday.

0 likes Black Culture , Black News , ybw #

14 thoughts on “Online Petition Demands Historic Black Panther Marker Be Removed

The Black Panthers were God like Americans who valued honor and responsibility. The New Black Panthers are FBI operatives working with Fox news characters to create a threat from mythical black militants. Black Panthers fed children and deterred police abuse, while the NBP acts out and speaks very suspiciously, using  provocateur cointelpro style rhetoric that belongs in that bs coloring book instead of real life.

Free speech is of way more value to our people especially, than thought totalitarianism, which is where some of these causes are going.

2. HANNIBAL the VICTOR says:

Who cares? The BPP doesnt need to be validated by whites. If you want a monument to the BBP , buy some PRIVATE property and put whatever you want on it. Oh , i forgot , blacks dont want to buy anything that doesnt go “bling” and depreciates in value right after they buy it. SMH

3. KoffeeBlac says:

Asinine to compare the Black Panther Party to the KKK or any other white supremacist organization. http://koffeenocream.com/Home/

4. Johnw11 says:

HANNIBAL the VICTOR  Where are your businesses located? Do you sell products online? I’d like to patronize your businesses as a paying customer. Also, I’m looking to buy some land. Are you selling any of yours?
    It would be a pleasure doing business with you, your being a brother and all.

5. Johnw11 says:

MoveOn.org passes itself off as a progressive organization. http://front.moveon.org/about/#.Vbr4biYo4dU. It is a longstanding major online supporter of President Obama.
    What this petition action shows is that MoveOn, like many others of its ilk, is a fake operation, funded and controlled by rich fake “progressives” who share the same values and views as the right-wingers.
    Their only interest in Blacks is to use them for votes.

6. HANNIBAL the VICTOR says:

Johnw11 Typical. Ignore what i said and make it about me. And what would you do with my personal info? You are obviously upset about my comments  so i wont be divulging my identity to you.

7. HANNIBAL the VICTOR says:

Rick Manigault The point is , if you build your own monuments on your own land you dont have to worry about anybody taking them from you. Why are black people surprised when this stuff happens?

I saw this coming months ago.

9. Johnw11 says:

HANNIBAL the VICTOR Johnw11  Actually, if it’s OK with you, let me say that I’ve been focusing mostly on your ideas. I’ve given very little thought about your personal identity. I read and post here to engage in ideas. You have made your ideas clear to all; and your identity as well — unless you use a computer not registered or owned by you. To some it may be of interest, but to me your identity is useless.
    Having said that, I would like now – again, asking your indulgence– to address discrepancies.
    You have often — oddly for a forum as I perceive this one to be — goaded posters with questions: ” What are you going to do about it?” And  asserted that posters; “Don’t do anything but talk.”
    Given the fervor with which you speak (in which frankly I see leadership qualities), I thought it appropriate that I asked in a previous discussion what were you doing as you accused others of not doing anything.
    Your response at that time was you put your “money where my mouth is.”
    That’s why I thought you might be an established businessman, since you always (and I think it’s positive of you) urge other Blacks to start businesses.
    If I offended you by my expressing that assumption, my apology is extended to you — in this regard specifically.

Johnw11

I find it interesting that after 4 days u’ve yet to receive a reply to this post in which I feel u posed some very valid questions, John.

11. queenofmeanest says:

HANNIBAL the VICTOR Rick Manigault
    You are wrong on this issue.  Even whites call the police and other officials if you bbq on your own property or erect a monument on your property.
    Have you ever heard of homeowners associations or property ordinances?

12. queenofmeanest says:

Idiots.

13. sportsm0m03 says:

Oh Hell No!!!
    That’s history that needs to be remembered!
    What the hell is going on in this country? If something offends you, you get rid of it? WTF?! You want to be “Politically Correct”, which is an Oxymoron in itself, and not offend anyone?
    News Flash!!!
    Someone’s going to be offended.
    Ain’t nothing you can do about it, so deal with it.
    How about this for a novel idea??
    How about we start standing For something, and not just against everything??
    I know. Far fetched idea.
    Just a thought.

14. queenofmeanest says:

HANNIBAL the VICTOR
    Stop painting blacks with the same broad brush.  What do you spent your money on?  I own bling and own land and I am sick of the generalization about blacks.