April 21, 2015

Exonerated Man to Prosecutor: “I Can’t Forgive You”

Exonerated Man to Prosecutor: “I Can’t Forgive You”

by Yvette Carnell

About a week ago CNN’s Anderson Cooper discussed with Walter’s Scott’s family a topic that has become all too common among black victims and their families–forgiveness.

After black teen Jordan Davis was gunned down by Michael Dunn, a CNN anchor also asked the slain teen’s parents about their plans to forgive their son’s killer. Jordan’s father was honest in his answer: No. Still, the pressure is usually on black victims to forgive, as opposed to pressuring their assailants to be worthy of forgiveness.

One exonerated inmate who spent most of his life behind bars for a crime he didn’t commit has no plans to forgive the prosecutor who ruined his life.

Glenn Ford spent 30 years on death row after being convicted of a murder he didn’t commit. Ford’s story is made all the more tragic by the recent revelation that he has stage 4 lung cancer and isn’t expected to survive past six months.

So, when the man who put him behind bars, former prosecutor Marty Stroud, came to visit Ford, the exonerated man made it clear that he wasn’t in a forgiving mood.

[tweet_box]Exonerated Man to Prosecutor Who Put Him in Prison for 30 Years: “I Can’t Forgive You”[/tweet_box]

“I want you to know that I am very sorry,” Stroud said during a tense meeting. “It’s a stain on me that will be with me until I go to my grave.”

Ford said Stroud’s words aren’t worth much now.

“Right,” Ford, who was too weak to stand, shot back, without even looking up at Stroud. “But it still cost me 31 years of my life and then nothing at the end but death because they give me from six to eight months to live.”

“I’m sorry,” Ford added. “I can’t forgive you.”

0 likes Black Crime & Incarceration , Black News , ybw #

98 thoughts on “Exonerated Man to Prosecutor: “I Can’t Forgive You”

1. DanLee1 says:

How in hell is there “pressure” to forgive according to the article?  Where is the pressure to stop butchering unarmed people under the guise of “law enforcement”?  Where is the pressure on the system to STOP protecting these taxpayer funded, uniformed murders?  Where is the pressure to enforce the law for EVERYONE regardless of the uniform they may be wearing?  Everyone else has to go though the system when they get caught and are usually jailed if found guilty.  We rarely even get charges, let alone punishment for those tax supported thugs in uniform when THEY break the law.  Usually they get a paid vacation, maybe some counseling, money from all over the internet, and are put back on the street where they are free to repeat their repugnant actions!

““I’m sorry,” Ford added. “I can’t forgive you.”

And yet he still sounds apologetic. What the hell is he ‘sorry’ for?  SMH

3. junkbondtrader41 says:

Truly sad case, it appears.

I seriously doubt I could forgive him, either.

Watchful Sorry he can’t forgive the person that stole his life, I would rather he just said NO.

The lesson of this story is lost on an American public where people want to get rid of Miranda warnings and think defendants have to many rights, how many people are in the same position as this gentlemen with no DNA or other evidence will die in jail?

Rick Manigault

I’d rather he had looked him dead in the eye and said: Not only won’t I forgive u, but, if hell actually exists, I hope ur ass rots there.

7. HANNIBAL the VICTOR says:

Never forget , never forgive and never again. That should be every black man’s mantra.

8. hiroader2 says:

Every exonerated ex-prisoner all seem to have to publicly recite the same “I forgive you” rhetoric… It’s annoying like 25-30 years of Maury Show black women U0001f4af% percent sure who the baby’s daddy is… Guess if supremacy needs an permanent underclass…, having the wrongly convicted underclass recite forgiveness , While publicly campaigning the blacks committ all the crimes…

9. vampirehunterg1 says:

Rick Manigault American justice at it’s finest. Any Questions?

10. smittyboy7 says:

HANNIBAL the VICTOR  EXACTLY!!!!

11. queenofmeanest says:

My parents raised me never to forgive nor forget.

12. junkbondtrader41 says:

Mine neither. Dad was a “urinate on his ex wife’ s grave kind of guy.

13. queenofmeanest says:

junkbondtrader41
    ROFLMAOPIMP

14. queenofmeanest says:

Watchful Rick Manigault
    I would have stood up and beat his azz down.

15. MsLayDi says:

Watchful , I thought the exact same thing when I read this.

16. MsLayDi says:

Watchful Rick Manigault , I’m glad he didn’t look at him. That shows his disdain for him.

17. hiroader2 says:

30 years and projected 6 months to live…, Pure audacity…

18. queenofmeanest says:

hiroader2
    I hope he survives just to throw dirt in that prosecutor’s face?

19. GeneShowers says:

Thank you Mr Scott. How could he ask you for forgiveness? It hurts to know that you are not the only Black (men and women ) that have been and still are caged because of bigotry in this country.Once again, THANK YOU.

queenofmeanest

LOL, queen … Mr.Ford’s health status probably prevented him from doing somethin’ like that, but I definitely feel ya on that. : )

21. LeonGilbert says:

Very tragic but I would like to add that forgiveness is not for humanity, ultimately we direct our forgiveness towards God and expect forgiveness from God and if we are not wiling to forgive one another we cannot expect forgiveness from God. I sincerely hope and pray that you seek Allah now, I don’t want to feed into the diagnoise of death that the doctors have given you because only God knows when we will die. But I would ask you to still seek out Allah in hopes that Allah can heal your heart brother; a heart without forgiveness is a broken heart in deed. I will pray for you. May Allah heal you and all of us. Ameen.

22. LeonGilbert says:

queenofmeanest hiroader2 I think by now he has learned that life is to precious to waste on throwing it away in this way.

23. LeonGilbert says:

queenofmeanest thats sad. you will never be happy in this world with life on earth because you will never run out of times when you must forgive and forget or else you will be bogged down with a great deal of baggage.

24. LeonGilbert says:

HANNIBAL the VICTOR that would get us no where. we can’t keep that sort of energy bottled up inside of us, it is very unhealthy. corresive to the soul.

25. LeonGilbert says:

queenofmeanest Watchful Rick Manigault it is always easy to talk about what you would do when you’re securely situated outside the senario looking in. he was in prison for 30 years- you don’t know what kind of person you would be after that long in prison, that time could be the thing that helped you find the peace that we all long for.

26. LeonGilbert says:

If someone ask me for forgiveness I feel compelled to forgive them- I want God to forgive me and I think that if I can forgive others maybe God will in turn forgive me for one small evil thing that I did.

27. LeonGilbert says:

I never heard of a prosecuter going to meet someone in person and asking for their forgiveness. That is amazing to me, I have to believe he is sincere in his need to be forgiven- in relation to the number of prosecuters who have destroyed the lives of countless numbers of people, I know there is a very small number of prosecuters who did this, this was a great opportunity to have this record for all mankind; forgiveness sought and forgiveness granted. We can’t live in a world without forgiveness, forgiveness is one of the footsteps to a new day of change here on earth among the oppressed and the oppressors, there is no other option for us, we only have this one planet and it is growing smaller with each new day. We need to find a way to live in harmony here, I can’t see how we can find peace here on earth with one another without forgiving one another.

This is what I learned from Islam. This is the choice that Allah has given me with knowledge of Him within the scope of His Mercy and Forgiveness. May Allah give us an incline in our endeavors of evolution on the path of humanity so one day we can be one people, one nation under God.

Ameen

28. AMAC7210 says:

Typical another Caucasoid asking a Black person for forgiveness in order to clear their conscious.. I applaud Mr. Ford for not accepting his apology.. This man was on death row while his ass was taking vacation, attending graduations. wedding, receiving awards etc. We have to STOP being suckers… I find it amazing  how some people have forgotten slavery, lynching, rapes, family being torn apart just to name a few things that the Caucasoid inflicted on the Black man. I remember Clinton making a BS apology on behalf of the Caucasoid but he never mention any type of reparations but they will apologize, provide reparations and financial resources to the Jews for something that happen in Europe. I hope the guilt kicks his azz while he is still on the earth..

HoTep!!!

29. arduousdiva says:

LeonGilbert I think you are trivializing this man’s experience by believing that 30 years of whatever he endured in jail should have humbled him to have “learned that life is to precious to waste on throwing it away in this way”. That doesn’t even make a little bit of sense.  His life is over.  What don’t you get about this?  All the precious life outside of 6-8 months of probably being in pain and total discomfort is OVER.  It’s great that you THINK you would be willing to forgive someone from taking over 30 years of your life away for a crime you didn’t commit, causing you to endure God knows what, miss out on any opportunity to spend with family, and find out your dying with only 6-8 months left to live once you are finally exonerated. That prosecutor…He saw his family at his leisure, for thirty years, he experienced the freedoms that every American and person on this earth who is law abiding should experience, he got to go to a physician of his choice, eat when where and how he wanted.  Forgiveness? I don’t think that I could have stood in the same room with him, much less forgive him. JM2C…

LeonGilbert

U’ve have gotta be kiddin’ me.  I know exactly what kinda person I would be if I had unjustly spent 30 years of my life behind bars for a crime I knew I hadn’t committed … I’d be bitter as hell, and rightfully so. I don’t need to sit in a damn prison to find ‘the peace that we supposedly all long for, I can do that much more easily out of prison than in one. U’re a real piece of work, bruh. SMDH

31. AMAC7210 says:

Bro Watchful I agree with you infinitely ..it easy for this brutha to say this BS when he didn’t serve 1day of this man sentence. This is another form of white supremacy forgiving the massa at the expense of the Black man..

AMAC7210

It never ceases to amaze me how so many of our ppl seem to convinced that we’re somehow supposed to endure great suffering while we exist on this plane in order to supposedly reap some great reward when we move on to our next existence. I swear, some of us have been so hopelessly mind-phucked til it’s downright pathetic.

33. ShabAzizShabazz says:

Leon please just shut up. I beg of you!!

34. ShabAzizShabazz says:

@leongilbert stop judging people with using your religion. If that works for you then OK. Using absolutes like that make you sound Looney.

35. ShabAzizShabazz says:

This MUTHAFUCKA SAIDDDDD “You never know those 30 years may have helped you find the peace that we all long for U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602U0001f602

36. AMAC7210 says:

I totally agree with you that this can’t be a black man making this idiotic comment..

37. jillabuss says:

I applaud Mr. Ford for his decision. Americans of African Heritage have been brainwashed into believing that this is an act of godliness. Whose god? The false god they have been brainwashed to believe and accept as their own? The SYRIAN god of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob? The god that has never delivered them from the suffering and abuse that has been bestowed upon them for centuries? Forgiveness is a fallacy created by Satan to absolve him of his sins. Never forgive a person for doing what they already know is wrong.

38. queenofmeanest says:

39. queenofmeanest says:

jillabuss
    Thank you.

40. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert
    Please explains Islam’s eye for an eye and the fake sharia law that penalizes women for rape and not the man for his transgressions and why the oppression of women and girls.

41. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert queenofmeanest hiroader2
    Let’s see if you lose your freedom for 30 years then maybe you will appreciate your potential loss of life and let’s face it Allah is not going to give it back to you.

42. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert
    What pisses me off is that this man knew all along Mr. Ford was innocent and he let the guilty party get away.  What makes me more angrier is that you are excusing this inexcusable illegal behavior with Islam.
    THERE IS NO REASONABLE LOGICAL EXCUSE FOR STEALING THIS MAN’S LIFE. ISLAM, XTIAN, JUDAISM, OR WHATEVER RELIGION IS THE FLAVOR OF THE MINUTE.
    My parents taught me the eye for an eye. My mother always said an “Eye for and Eye, Tooth for a Tooth.”  You yell at my cat I’ll shoot your mama.
    When she said that people backed off.

43. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert queenofmeanest hiroader2
    Keep living and keep B.S.ing

44. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert queenofmeanest
    No you are the sad one.  You do not understand the situation until you lose your freedom and loved ones, by the time you understand, it is too late for you to figure out what is going on.  So move on and go join your new friend the corrupt district attorney, you are not making brownie points here.

45. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert HANNIBAL the VICTOR
    And Kissing the white man’s butt and forgiving him hasn’t gotten us anywhere either.

46. AnthonyAllen says:

I applaud that man. Why would any one in their right man forgive an enemy for stealing their life. Screw that prosecutor his family and all who think like him. Only a mental slave would forgive his oppressor .

47. queenofmeanest says:

Watchful LeonGilbert
    Actually, I would not have showed up let alone send my response to this MOFO.

48. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert queenofmeanest Watchful Rick Manigault
    Plantation negro

49. queenofmeanest says:

LeonGilbert queenofmeanest Watchful Rick Manigault
    The judge need to be damned beyond the floor of hell.

queenofmeanest

I’m with u on that, queen.

51. queenofmeanest says:

AnthonyAllen
    Thank you.

52. queenofmeanest says:

This was not a forgiveness moment.  This is a KODAK moment.  Who brought the cameras?

53. AnthonyAllen says:

Your most welcome

54. queenofmeanest says:

Rick Manigault
    I agree with you.  One thing to also consider, even with DNA to exonerate the innocent individual, that person is still tried and convicted.  The Amerikkkan Injustice System is in serious need of a major overhaul.

55. queenofmeanest says:

DanLee1
    Too many questions and sadly no real answers to solve this problem.

56. queenofmeanest says:

DanLee1
    I am listening to the Police Commissioner of Baltimore running off the mouth blaming the rioters for their actions.  What about the actions of the police and the district attornies and judges in his city?
    Where is the blame there?

queenofmeanest Would be great if we could hold prosecutors accountable when they commit misconduct.

58. jillabuss says:

queenofmeanest DanLee1: I agree with the statement regarding the tactics and behavior of city and governmental authorities in this city, yet I wonder When are We as a People, going to take Personal Responsibility for our behavior, and that of our children. Another matter that I have examined is that certain public officials in that town knew of ” the Purge” these teenagers had established via social media, and did nothing to warn parents. The pastors, religious figures, and parents should have been at the schools at dismissal giving guidance, direction, and escorting these young people home. More than one parent should have shown up at that mall and disciplined their child on the spot, as one mother did. Anger, frustration, feelings of dehumanization are valid reasons to march and protest, but not to destroy our neighborhoods. Our monies go to the Caucasian and other nationalities because we do not have franchises in our communities to sustain us. The big box stores have moved away disenfranchising the community and forces us to travel to their neighborhoods to purchase what we can not buy in our own. We lose the revenue, they gain it. Their communities are thriving due to our finances. So why destroy what little we do have? It is time to stop sitting waiting for justice from a system that has historically established laws to deprive us of the rights and equalities guaranteed by the constitution of the United States. These are the issues that need addressing, The New Black Code Laws of the 21st. century. The United States of America Should be held responsible for every death in the American of African Heritage community at the hands of police. The justice department is well aware of the cities, and towns who have laws that discriminate against African Americans, as well as the unequal justice that is applied in our communities. It is there duty to hold them responsible for unequal justice. This is where the message should be taken: To the United States Capitol. March and protest at their home until a change is made. The constitution set the conditions, citizens should demand they live up to it.

59. ELJIR says:

Damn real talk!

60. ELJIR says:

This is the true and real amerikkka, welcome.

61. ELJIR says:

That sounds like vindictive?

62. ELJIR says:

This guy leon sounds like a basket case!

63. BradLee1 says:

O MY PEOPLE THE WHO

64. BradLee1 says:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FORGIVENESS!
    WE ARE ONE!

65. Only4him330 says:

queenofmeanest LeonGilbert “The person who cannot forgive burns the bridge over which he himself must cross” Whether you believe in Christ or not you need His forgiveness.
    The Bible says if you do not forgive men God will not forgive you. Admittedly so, many have misused this truth to give license to their evilness and to trick the masses into giving them a green light to anything and everything they do so long as an apology is offered afterwards.
    Justice and restitution must be made for every infraction if possible but even if it isn’t, un-forgiveness will only ever be poison in your heart. (perhaps the prosecutor ought to have been more genuine. instead of trying to “do it for the vine” he should have just met the man alone and personally repented with tears and contrition. or waited, the wound is still very fresh. Often times forgiveness is a process.

The problem is that after we forgive someone we expect a snake to no longer be a snake… If i am bit by a snake i can forgive without allowing myself to be bit again and again.
    please receive this Queen, Forgiveness is for you… not just them.

66. Only4him330 says:

junkbondtrader41 I pray you never do anything for which you need forgiveness. grace and peace.

67. queenofmeanest says:

Only4him330 queenofmeanest LeonGilbert
    What you are saying is that I need Christ’s forgiveness to move on?

68. TariqWilliams says:

Only a completely sick privileged class mentality could even consider thinking he/she could/would be forgiven by someone who he/she railroaded into to prison for thirty years for a crime they didn’t commit. It just shows how truly sick and evil many, many of these humanoids are

69. TariqWilliams says:

AMAC7210  We can forget about any guilt kicking this prosecutor in the azz because many, many of these people don’t have a conscience, a soul and their hearts are ugly and stone cold. Many, many of these humanoids are the spawn of the devil and inherently evil beings, they cant help it they were born that way.

70. TariqWilliams says:

Only4him330 queenofmeanest LeonGilbert  even if you know not to allow the snake to bite you again why forgive it when it is his evil nature to bite people if not you then someone else? Evil must be destroyed not forgiven people can make peace with their GOD without telling someone the you are not upset with them for destroying you life.

71. TariqWilliams says:

LeonGilbert queenofmeanest  I don’t see how not telling someone that you are not upset because of the terrible thing they did to you is bogging yourself down with a great deal of baggage.

72. TariqWilliams says:

queenofmeanest LeonGilbert Watchful Rick Manigault  More like a  House N-word.

73. queenofmeanest says:

TariqWilliams Only4him330 queenofmeanest LeonGilbert
    Excuse me, but you must have mistaken me for a dumb Christian.  I do not care if people like this criminal prosecutor makes peace with his G’d or not.
    Let’s see how you fare if you lose years of your life away from loved ones due to a crime “YOU” did not commit.  Let’s see how your attitude will change.

74. queenofmeanest says:

Only4him330 queenofmeanest LeonGilbert
    You did not answer my question.

queenofmeanest

VERY well said, queen.

76. queenofmeanest says:

Watchful queenofmeanest
    Thank you.

77. AMAC7210 says:

Brutha Tariq, I TOTALLY agree with your response .WELL SAID

78. queenofmeanest says:

TariqWilliams Only4him330 queenofmeanest LeonGilbert
    Eloquently put.

79. jillabuss says:

queenofmeanest Only4him330 LeonGilbert  You only need yourself to move on. This man has accepted his fate. That which was stolen from him can never be replaced. Even if it could he will never be able to enjoy it. That prosecutor must live in his own personal hell until he dies.

80. Dlaydi4u says:

queenofmeanest LeonGilbert , please explain gods law of an eye for an eye, and god’s law that penalizes women for rape. It’s the same thing.  The christian oppresses women.

81. Dlaydi4u says:

LeonGilbert , how do you know it’s just a small amount? The great opportunity was to not lie on a man, to further your career., when many others were.  Black people have been forgiving white people forever, and we still don’t have peace.

82. queenofmeanest says:

jillabuss queenofmeanest Only4him330 LeonGilbert
    THANK YOU.

83. MauriceDMuhammad says:

We should never forgive them, they are unworthy….. Truth has come to you~

84. Only4him330 says:

queenofmeanest Only4him330 LeonGilbert Sister, i wouldn’t insult my brother by assuming i understand his suffering. what he’s endured is wicked and unconscionable. I never said, dont be angry, i never said, forgiveness was easy, all i meant to say is forgiveness doesnt just set “them” free it sets “you” free as well. He can still be in prison… bars or not.

85. Only4him330 says:

jillabuss queenofmeanest Only4him330 LeonGilbert And whats more… what is it with people on the feed feeling like “hatred” and being “unforgiving” is for the “real” brother and sister of the struggle? as if giving mercy is weakness or extending grace is disgraeful

86. queenofmeanest says:

Only4him330 queenofmeanest LeonGilbert
    When it comes to people like the prosecutor and other whites, I have no conscience.

87. jillabuss says:

Only4him330 jillabuss queenofmeanest LeonGilbert : We have been forgiving all of our lives, for what? those who abuse our people, deprive them of their rights, burn our churches, and shoot us down in the streets are not worthy of forgiveness.

88. prettybrown1970 says:

LeonGilbert Allah Akbar!!!

89. Only4him330 says:

queenofmeanest Only4him330 LeonGilbert Well my sister… I’ll pray that God will bless you so that you can learn to forgive. not cheaply but truly.

90. jillabuss says:

Only4him330 queenofmeanest LeonGilbert  If god was as real and true as what is expounded, the suffering of Americans of African Heritage at the hands of evil would have been handled by god long ago.

91. MaryNeal says:

Only4him330 Hear “Forgiveness Not Required,” archived at Blogtalkradio
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nnia1/2015/07/13/marylovesjustice-prayer-meeting-july-12-2015-forgiveness-not-required > Join us for Part 2 on Sunday, July 19 at 9pmPST at the MaryLovesJustice Prayer Meeting on Blogtalkradio. You have been taught in error that the bible requires unconditional forgiveness of Christians, but that is not true. Jesus said we are to watch ourselves. If our brother repents and asks for forgiveness, then forgive him (Luke 17:3). The question is, who is our brother? Jesus explained that people who do the will of His Father are His family members. God’s will is love. People who do not walk in love and treat people with love are NOT in God’s will or His family. You are under no obligation to forgive them. God cannot require unconditional love, because He hated Esau for being a damn sell-out (Malachi 1:3; Romans 9:13). Christian martyrs in heaven have not forgiven their murderers. They cry out for vengeance, and God does not chastise them for hating people who killed them. Instead, He promises to avenge them (Revelation 6:9-11). If God’s forgiveness were automatic, then nobody would go to hell. But the bible you claim to believe in says that all unrepentant sinners will be condemned to hell. The false doctrine of unconditional forgiveness is taught to keep Christians subdued rather than resisting evil (James 4:7).

92. AnthonyAllen says:

You christians forgot one thing. It aint real .

93. vanneevv says:

Jillabuss
    Im appalled that you describe God like a piece of filth under the bottom of your shoe. .so glad that same God is loving and forgiving that if he wasnt he would take his breath back.
    His words say if we don’t forgive neither will he forgive us….and guess what I have to forgive cause im dealing with human beings.

94. Jane Stevens says:

Thank you, truer words were never spoken…

95. AnthonyAllen says:

If their is a devil its certainly the white one . To quote Bdot as he destroyed his opponent Strick ” My god look at the evidence ” lol

96. AnthonyAllen says:

The bible a book of fairy tales given to you by the white devil. Man please

97. jillabuss says:

vanneevv :Man said that. Furthermore, most people do not know where god came from. Get educated on some things or two about what you give the entity of your soul to. Just may be Satan. Your god was stolen

98. RoseAtta says:

There was no humility there this man was there for his own benefit to clear his conscience Good call to run him