June 21, 2014

What Do Movies “Thelma and Louise” and “The Butler” Have in Common?

What Do Movies “Thelma and Louise” and “The Butler” Have in Common?

THE BUTLER

by F. Palmer

As I keep seeing that this is the 23rd anniversary of that piece of sh*t movie ‘Thelma & Louise’, which was laughably construed as such a watershed moment for white women being portrayed as strong characters in a movie, let me make this clear to anyone who has any delusions of this being nothing but a nod to what will happen to you if you don’t bow down to structural white male domination:

Only in a patriarchal and misogynist world can the two female lead characters in a movie get treated like sh*t by men, almost get raped, be suckered into having their money taken by a young Lothario, go on the lam and then finally drive off a f*cking cliff in the end and it somehow be seen as a film that represents the “empowerment of women.”

The only message to construe from this is that “empowerment” towards the white male patriarchal society ultimately means DEATH for the white female, the same way that the only thing you can construe from a movie like ‘The Butler’ is that the best way for a black man to survive is to stay CONTINUOUSLY subservient, our PROPER place. I defy anyone who is being totally honest or has a brain in their head to come to any other conclusion.

F. Palmer’s blog posts are a new feature at BreakingBrown for painfully honest, bullsh*t free observations.

0 likes Black News , Black Politics , featured , ybw #

14 thoughts on “What Do Movies “Thelma and Louise” and “The Butler” Have in Common?

1. david19082 says:

This writer is stating the obvious. Hollywood represents the same intent that Hitler’s Nazi propaganda machine did in Germany. The only reason we don’t use the comparison is because Hollywood and mainstream media is dominated by Jews. Even though they are being blatantly racist they will always scream antisemitism to deflect attention from it. We don’t want to say out loud that a people who have a history of oppression ( in Europe) are doing the same thing to others for profit and propaganda. The intent of any film that has black people as the subject matter going back to Birth of a Nation is to sell racial stereotypes. The writer didn’t have to use the film Thelma and Louise he could have used the film The Color Purple or for Colored Girls or The Blind Side as examples. Any film with black people featured in it for that matter serves as an example. Sadly black people pay to support their own degradation when they support Hollywood films and TV.

2. adam nole says:

Callie Khouri (a female) wrote and created the film Thelma and Louis. The film has mostly been pegged as a pro-feminist film. The writer of his piece here starting off on the wrong foot by trying to infuse the victim mentality that some African Americans like to put forth.

Now, when it comes to African Americans, subservient roles are not the only types of roles African Americans can get in a film.  But it appears to me to be here again is that you have some African Americans who are always looking to be a victim.

So if you don’t like what you see on screen then make a film.  But whining and complain and not taking the bull by the horn is useless. Well, that is as long you want to keep up the victim status card.

So I stay far away from those black folk who just love to see themselves as victims in an perpetual endless war. And thankfully my parents did not raise me like that.

3. david19082 says:

adam nole I stay far away from weak people who put blinders on and pretend that racism doesn’t exist. I’m thankful my parents raised me like that to have common sense. I agree 100% that black people should make their own films and take control of our own images away from racist whites in the media. But it doesn’t mean I’m going to close my eye to those who choose to make a living spitting in our faces as a race whether they are black or white. That doesn’t makes this writer and others a victim that makes them courageous for telling the truth.

adam nole

So I guess merely expressing one’s opinion on how they interpret a movie can somehow instantly mean they’ve taken on a victim’s mentality or they’re just a whiner or complainer. Is that it?

5. adam nole says:

david19082 adam nole

Let me address this real quick.

You Say: I stay far away from weak
    people who put blinders on and pretend that racism doesn’t exist. I’m
    thankful my parents raised me like that to have common sense.

I Say: First, off where did I say
    anything about pretending that racism does not exist? See you start
    off on the wrong foot right there. But lets examine this a little
    further. We all know the problems that exists. Rehashing it for the
    110th time, especially when this theory that is about as
    intellectually sound as some white people’s thoughts on black
    intelligence levels is equally bad. And it is apart of the victim
    mentality that some of our people have been caught in for too long. It is
    not helping in 2014.

So I was raised by my two black parents
    and surrounding black community, that if you see a problem, not to
    whine about it, but to get in in there and do something about it if
    something means that much to you.

You Say: I agree 100% that black people
    should make their own films and take control of our own images away
    from racist whites in the media. But it doesn’t mean I’m going to
    close my eye to those who choose to make a living spitting in our
    faces as a race whether they are black or white. That doesn’t makes
    this writer and others a victim that makes them courageous for
    telling the truth.

I Say: We half agree. The first part
    is on point. Yet, The Butler was produced and created by African
    American Lee Daniels. The actors that came together to collaborate to
    make this film felt it was a story needing to be told.

As African Americans, we are a diverse
    people. We do not have to carry everyone’s weight and burdens on us.
    We are individuals and make individual choices. So even with black
    owned film companies, these types of films will still be made and
    should be. I don’t want to run from or hide from the past.

Also, many African Americans are never
    satisfied. Every film or television show has to meet some standard.
    Either it is too stereotypical, considered “not black enough”
    (whatever the hell that means), unreal to someone else’s idea of the
    how the dominate African American experience should be portrayed, it
    didn’t touch on racism or not enough.

And to that I say, if you don’t like
    what you see, then create what you want to see. Because if I as a
    black person were in that position, I will write what I want to see
    and be damned if you are going hound me. If you don’t like it don’t
    see it.

The creator of the Girlfriends, The
    Game, Being Mary Jane and the upcoming Start-Up. Did not whine and
    complain when CW canceled The Game. She got busy coming up with a
    plan C, D, E, F and G. Now she is a very successful creator/producer
    tapping the black market. Shondra Ryhmes is equally successful in the
    mainstream with what she has done with Gray’s, Scandal, Private
    Pratice and the upcoming How To Get Away With Murder.

So you see I tuned out from the black
    folk who want to sit around in a circle and have a victim party and
    tuned in to the black people who said say, “Here’s the concern and
    here is what I am going to do about it.”

Once you get this, then you get what I
    am saying. Yet, to repeat something that has been said a hundred times
    before in print and online for decades is not the answer. If for
    every problem you are not following it up with a direct solution that
    you are involved in or reporting on someone who is, than the victim
    mentality is at play and you are part of the problem and not the
    solution. But ya’ll don’t want to hear that.

6. adam nole says:

Watchful adam nole Logic is missing from this piece.  A whole lot of logic and reason. I’m not the type of African American whom is easily moved to react every time someone tries to draw a racial context to things.

I’m an entrepreneur myself.  And in my industry, I could either throw my hands up and complain that there were too few black people rising through the ranks or doing exactly what I wanted to do or I could do it myself.  And that is the motto I live by and surround myself with those types of black people. And I’m willing to help those who are willing to help themselves.
    And that is that. It may be tough to hear.

adam nole

That’s all well and good, but I’d be curious if u could give me an example of when u felt a black person who ‘complained’ or ‘whined’ about racism, did so in a ‘logical context’ without u assuming they were taking on a ‘victim mentality’.

8. adam nole says:

Watchful adam nole

Thanks for asking. I will gladly do
    so. In fact, I will give you several.

Looking at the drug war and its
    disproportionate effects on the black community.

Looking at how redlining, more
    specifically credit lining, where banks historically refused to
    provide loans to African American would-be entrepreneurs and the
    impacted that had on urban inner city communities.

Continuing with the redlining
    theme, one can also look at how city governments through the forced
    segregation of African Americans arriving during the Great
    Migration, funneled our people into neighborhoods where local
    factories were in great proximity to where we lived and the impact
    that had on corresponding health related conditions through
    pollution.

From an internal standpoint, we
    can look at how misconceptions on “blackness” leads us to
    continue to elect black politicians and politicians in general who
    manipulate our collective (not individual) sensitivity on race to
    gain political power and provide our people collectively with
    nothing in return for that vote.

So that is just a sampling of issues we
    can talk about.

adam nole

That’s not what I asked u, I asked for an example of a ‘person’ who ‘complained’ or ‘whined’ about racism that u then did not feel was taking on a ‘victim mentality’. But, thx anyway.

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems when they ‘like’ a comment? I tried liking several comments only to have it show up at first then immediately disappear. I also had a problem with the edit feature a few times last week, too.

11. adam nole says:

Watchful adam nole

Well, first the question is loaded.  So to unloaded the question. You asking me to provide an example of someone who was legitimately discussing race related concerns that was not taking on the victim mentality or simply whining and complaining without solutions.  That is how this question should read.

To that I would say Bill Cosby, Felicia Ayers, Diahann Carroll, Colin Powell, John Singleton, Spike Lee, Jospeh Phillips, Denzel Washington, the deceased Maya Angelo, Mara Akil Brock, Chris Rock, Dave Chappell, Mayor Kevin Johnson, Dr.Steve Perry, https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&biw=1280&bih=641&q=geoffrey+canada&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDgzMHnxCXfq6-gUmemWFlkhKYbVRYYmiUrqWenWyln1RanJmXWlwMZ8TnF6QWJZZk5udZpeWX5qWkFnntWG4ZYfh69cI7Wc8y2TfG79T2TQEAeZyTC2AAAAA&sa=X&ei=z1OrU7DgKtHyoASWs4KICA&ved=0CKwBEJsTKAIwDw, Thomas Sowell, Randal Pinkett, Tristan Walker and Kimberly Bryant.

These people are also all do’ers.

adam nole

Loaded question???  It was a rather direct question, if u ask me. I think u just failed to answer it the first time around which was really no biggie. At any rate, u at least named 1 with this reply which is all I asked for, so thx. 🙂

Doers, eh? That may be true, but they’re just a few of millions of others who just may not be as well known.

13. Watchful Hmm. will look into it.

Yvette Carnell

Ok, thx Yvette … I first started noticing it last week. Hope it’s not somethin’ on my end.