As is always the case, news impacting the black community gets roiled over and defined by a Black Twitter hashtag. So when Don Lemon decided to back up O’Reilly’s assault on black culture, the Twitterverse went nuts with the #DonLemonLogic hash. Now that the meme has slowed a bit, it’s as good a time as any to count down the top ten tweets.
Before we get started, a quick refresher of what Lemon said. During a CNN segment, Lemon played this clip from O”Reilly, then agreed with the substance of the critique:
The reason there is so much violence and chaos in the black precincts is the disintegration of the African American family…Raised without much structure, young black men often reject education and gravitate towards the street culture, drugs, hustling, gangs. Nobody forces them to do that. Again, it is a personal decision.
Lemon cosigns O’Reilly, saying, “Bill’s got a point,”adding, “In fact, he’s got more than a point…In my estimation, he doesn’t go far enough.”
“More than 72% of children in the African Americans are born out of wedlock,” Lemon said. “Studies show that lack of a male role model is an express train right to prison, and the cycle continues.”
“Please, pay attention to and think about what has been presented in recent history as acceptable behavior,” Lemon finished. “Pay close attention to the hip hop and rap culture that many of you embrace, a culture that glorifies everything I just mentioned, thug and reprehensible behavior, a culture that is making a lot of people rich—just not you. And it’s not going to.”
Now here are the Top Ten tweets:
1) If Florida Evans would have gotten a perm, James would have never been killed.
2) can’t be mad at r. kelly for pe*ing on that girl if she just sat there and watched him drink all that water.
3) Racism would end if Black people gave their kids appropriate names like Emily and Ethan.
4) Had the Africans been wearing three piece suits, the slave ships would have just turned around.
5) If only Barack Obama knew how to dress and how to speak and was a good father, they wouldn’t demand his birth certificate.
6) If you don’t want to live in poverty stop putting your bills in yo mama’s name.
7) If Black men curtsied to the Queen and used Bath & Body Works hibiscus soap they wouldn’t be profiled.
8) Just pulled my britches up, now where is that smiling cop with a puppy & ice cream cone for me?